It was a long while before anybirdy moved in. Three years not counting the winter right after we left the family home for this one.
Maybe the house was too decrepit. Maybe it was hanging in the wrong place. Maybe it just took the right bird at the right time to find it.
Jack was the curious conquering bird who claimed the birdhouse as his own.
All the while he chased off the other males who wanted the house now that Jack claimed it (where were those guys during the first three seasons of its vacancy, huh?). He spent a little bit of time sprucing up the inside with bits of grass and dryer lint and weed fuzz to make it just perfect for his future family.
Perched on the little front porch, he waited for a special girl to notice and agree to be his. More than one female showed interest but for whatever reason he chose Diane and off they went to make some eggs.
this is a little ditty ’bout jack and diane…..
Captain Jack and Diane Sparrow moved into the little old birdhouse sometime during the late spring of 2017. Sometimes Diane kept to the nest, other times it was Jack. Sometimes they both cuddled up inside.
One day we noticed two big wide open yellow mouths of their chicks at the door. The attentive bug-gathering by their parents assured that the babies grew up into fledglings and one day they just got pushed out the door and that was that.
Jack Sparrow returned to the house late this past winter and started his spring cleaning. I am happy to tell you that Diane, or a series of Dianes, observed him from the branches of the Service Berry bushes.
Sparrows are not the most beautiful of birds. They aren’t flashy or rare. But they are ours and our courtyard is theirs while they keep company with many, many other Sparrows and a few of their more colorful yard-mates the Cardinals, Woodpeckers, Bluebirds, Blue Jays and Hummingbirds.
These fiesty little creatures have lots to teach us big humans.
1. “You’ll have to make choices but nothing can change in your life if you don’t change anything.” Author unknown… it might be me but I’ve forgotten
2. “Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.” Nido Qubein
3. “A little adversity never hurt anybody. Go ahead and make your mark.” Me upon observing Jack and Diane Sparrow
4. “Two beaks are better than one.” Me upon observing Jack and Diane Sparrow
5. “Desire is the starting point of all achievement…” Napoleon Hill
6. “Sometimes you need to fight for what you want.” Me upon observing Jack and Diane Sparrow
7. “Neutral colors display the beauty of texture.” Me upon observing Jack and Diane Sparrow
8. “Measure first. Not good when your furniture hangs out the front door. ” Me upon observing Jack and Diane Sparrow
9.”Freedom to soar has its risks. And it is well worth it.” Me upon observing Jack and Diane Sparrow
Lyrics borrowed from “Jack and Diane”, a song written and performed by John Cougar (Mellencamp) in 1982. Wikipedia
Captain Jack and Jack Sparrow are names borrowed from the Pirates of the Caribbean film series. This character was created by screenwriters Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, and is portrayed by Johnny Depp in the series. Wikipedia